Virtual Building Design for Engineers Using Autodesk Revit
Building Information Modeling (BIM) has initiated a sea change in the way that engineers approach the design and construction of buildings. Autocad, and 2D-centric methods in general, have been pushed aside to make way for 3D-centric workflows and design processes rooted in parametric modeling, interoperability, visualization, Work-sharing, and automation that leverage the latest advancements in computing technology. Advanced 3D modeling programs (including Autodesk Revit and others), simulations, augmented reality, virtual reality, and other technologies have presented design professionals and project teams with new opportunities to maximize design the efficiency, functionality, and performance of buildings, to streamline and optimize design and construction operations, to study building lifecycles, and to help mitigate the impact of buildings on the environment.
However, as the AEC industry rapidly evolves by adopting BIM workflows, the educational system has been slow to respond. There is an ever-widening gap between the traditional engineering curriculum and the skills that students need when they graduate. This course will fill that gap by not only broadly introducing students to Virtual Design and BIM, but will introduce students to Autodesk Revit with future courses developed specifically for Structural Engineers, MEP Engineers, Fire Protection Engineers, and Construction Engineers.
What you'll learn
- This introductory course will include the following:
- Introduction to basic BIM Theory and 3D modeling and parametric modeling
- Discussing the benefits of visualization, and basic Revit workflows
- Introduction to the Revit UI, basic Revit modeling tools, and general Revit functionality
- Tutorials on how to start a new Revit project and use Revit templates
- Tutorials on how to model simple building components in Revit, and how to create basic building views, including 3D views, elevations, plans, sections, and details.
Get a Reminder
Get a Reminder
An overview of related careers and their average salaries in the US. Bars indicate income percentile.
3d teacher $62k
3D Modeling & Simulation Developer $66k
3D Artist 1 $68k
3D Draftsman $70k
3D person $74k
3D Generalist 4 $76k
Plumbing Designer/BIM 3D Modeling $78k
3D CG $84k
3D Engineer $97k
3D Modeler 3 $116k
3D programmer $128k
Senior 3D Animator, 3D Modeler $135k
Write a review
Your opinion matters. Tell us what you think.